July 30, 1938: "Construction of six and one-half miles of road from the Black Pine road to the Black Pine lookout station in the Philipsburg district of the Deer Lodge National Forest will be completed this fall, according to L.M. Stewart, assistant supervisor of the forest. The road is being built by CCC workers. A road survey crew also is making a preliminary survey of a purposed five-mile road from Lowlands creek to the Boy Scout camp, north of Butte. The road probably will be built next year." (Montana Standard)
November 4, 1938: "Construction of the road from Philipsburg to the Black Pine lookout station is almost completed. CCC workers are now finishing a six-mile portion of the road. A crew is also working on a 50-foot tower and lookout station on Black Pine." (Philipsburg Mail)
October 22, 1939: "On Black Pine lookout, northwest of Philipsburg, at an elevation of 7,500 feet a 50-foot tower was erected, topped by a 14-foot-square house to serve as living quarters for the lookout man who must keep constant vigil each summer against the forests No. 1 enemy. Six miles of low-standard forest road were constructed to serve Black Pine lookout and open adjacent areas to the public. A telephone line to the same point is now under construction by the Flint creek CCC camp." (Montana Standard)
1938: By the end of the year and early the next a plan L-11, 50-foot cable braced round timber tower with an L-4 cab was completed.
October 24, 1977: "The Black Pine lookout near Philipsburg is being disassembled and will be moved to Missoula for display, according to Richard Venable, Philipsburg District ranger. Venable said the top cabin portion of the lookout will be used as a display inside the Forest Service visitor's center west of Missoula. He added the lookout, which was used to spot fires for more than 30 years, will be authentically furnished in 1930's style." (The Missoulian)