April 4, 1934: "Materials for 10 new lookout towers and observatory building to be placed on the Lolo national forest this spring and summer have been ordered. One location will be: Superior district--Thompson peak." (The Missoulian)
1934: A 30-foot round timber tower with an L-4 cab was erected.
September 27, 1935: "John Castles has returned to Superior after a tour of 90 days at the Thompson creek lookout station." (The Missoulian)
June 19, 1947: "Forest Service officials say that the Thompson peak lookout is the most important observation point in their system. Unless the weather is exceptionally dry this lookout is manned by the fifteenth of June each year. From observations made by this lookout it is determined whether or not a fire hazard exists. Until about July first this lookout is primarily a weather station, gathering statistics for manning of the other lookouts." (The Mineral Independent)
1970: The tower was condemned after an inspection.
1984: A new cinder block lookout building was constructed next to the old tower, after the transfer of duties was made the old tower was removed.